Media Molecule is a video game development studio based in Guildford in the UK, and a proud member of the PlayStation Worldwide Studios. We are the creators of the multi-award winning games LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Tearaway, Tearaway Unfolded and we're currently building the next generation of Play, Create and Share for PlayStation 4: Dreams.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Media Molecule as we look to further push the creative boundaries of gaming and we are passionate about making games with creative gameplay. Our studio is fast paced, dynamic, collaborative and is undergoing a period of significant growth and evolution!
Location: Our studio in Guildford, or remote (able to work within the same timezone as the UK via video conferencing due to the need for close real-time collaboration).
Role: We are looking for an enthusiastic, creative individual to join our Create team to work with us on maintaining and building new additions to the Dreams creator toolset. We hope to find someone who is passionate about technology and design, able to help us to add the special details required to deliver inspiring and powerful tools to our users.
What you'll be doing:
- You will work closely with designers and artists to realise creative objectives.
- You will own and implement technical delivery of aspects of our creative tool suite.
Level: Junior or above
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- A passion to design and implement innovative user-facing creative tools to a high quality live services standard.
- Excellent C++ skills, with the ability to write readable/maintainable code.
- Good grasp of mathematical concepts and analysis techniques as they apply to game programming.
- Able to take an idea from a high level concept through to an implementation.
- Able to collaborate with a wide range of disciplines, iterating on features based on feedback, and critiquing your own work.
- Self-motivated and able to adapt effectively to new challenges as they arise.
- Able to talk through problems and solutions in both technical and non-technical contexts.
- Experience working as a programmer on real-time computer graphics based applications.
- Experience debugging and rectifying code in a multithreaded environment.
- Experience with using some form of version control for change management.
- Design flair with a good sense around usability design.
- Experience with VR-based game development.
- An active interest in related game development disciplines, such as art, animation, or audio.
- Keen interest in games, experience with Dreams an added bonus.
Equal Opportunity Statement: Media Molecule is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category. We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity.
This is a permanent position.
Before you apply
People of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives are encouraged to apply. Media Molecule is committed to creating an inclusive and safe work environment that reflects the diversity of the world around us. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Tips for getting hired!
Words are not enough! We need to see what you make: a portfolio, showreel, demo…send us a curated selection of your work that shows just the pieces you’re most proud of. Don’t be afraid to show us your personal work alongside your professional projects… just make sure we have your best creations to look at. We’re certainly excited to see portfolios made in Dreams as well.
Be yourself. We are a studio that encourages our team think creatively, to play with new technology and jam on individual ideas. We love seeing the personality of everyone at Media Molecule reflected in Dreams and so it’s YOU and YOUR STYLE that we are interested in learning about.
Embrace collaboration. Dreams is a very collaborative project and Media Molecule loves a game jam, so we need team members that can work well together – sometimes across departments that don’t traditionally overlap. Maybe you already work on a team, or manage a guild or play in a band – we’d love to hear how you get on collaborating with others.
Go for it. Media Molecule is filled with people with all sorts of previous experiences – straight from university, from jobs outside the industry, from AAA studios and indie ones, etc. We are after people who fit the roles we are hiring for not a specific number of years in the industry. Some roles benefit from certain experience, of course, but otherwise we are very open. We make creative games, and creativity is something we all enjoy. If you are interested then please apply – and don’t forget that portfolio!
What you get
On top of all the things we already mentioned, you’ll also get to be part of a talented, diverse team of people, get a tip top benefits package, including private health and life insurance, income protection and all that jazz, a competitive salary, a winning bonus scheme, a personal development fund, being a name and not a number, free lunches, organic fruit, and really comfy chairs. Our main studio is based in Guildford, and we now also have a small office in Brighton.
If the all of those job requirements seem to be describing you, and you like the sound of working at Media Molecule, then you should apply at once!