It’s an exciting time to be part of Media Molecule as we look to further push the boundaries of creative gaming. Our studio is fast paced, dynamic, collaborative, and is undergoing a period of significant growth and evolution. We are committed to delegating trust and ownership within the team, and are passionate to nurture talent to support our long-term goals.
As development director of our pioneering and expanding game studio, you will be responsible for ensuring that our engineering teams are set up most effectively to successfully deliver on our product objectives. Working alongside Production and Tech leadership you will help to define best-in-class professional practices by setting organisational and delivery standards across the studio.
You are an excellent people manager with proven experience as an accomplished engineer on live games across multiple platforms. You have experience and understanding of both the technical and organisational challenges involved in scaling technology solutions and teams for a game studio undergoing expansion.
What you’ll be doing:
- Ensure suitable management and professional support for our engineers to consistently strive for higher levels of excellence.
- Work with technical leadership roles to understand organisational pain points and identify strategies for addressing them.
- Communicate technical matters to internal and external stakeholders to align on and support decisions.
- Line/matrix-manage engineers and engineering leads.
- Work closely with HR to deliver effective talent planning across the engineering team.
- Partner with colleagues in production craft to help remove impediments for technical delivery and identify iterative improvements to workflow.
- You will collaborate and advise on project planning, staffing plans, and workflows that are needed to deliver the product and guide transformational change in the studio.
- Identify and help manage partnering opportunities for development efforts, both internally and externally.
- You have held leadership positions within software engineering.
- You demonstrate excellent management and leadership skills.
- You have experience managing senior engineering staff.
- You are highly organised and can manage multiple priorities and deliverables.
- You show good judgment when proposing and reaching conclusions; you consistently offer positive and constructive feedback.
- You have experience working with teams delivering ‘live’ software services.
- You have a proven track record managing and hiring within a technical organisation, having significant insight into successful talent acquisition/retention initiatives.
- You have experience defining and delivering organisational strategies across multiple teams working on multiple projects; you possess the skills needed to be involved in transformative change.
- You have a proven ability to coordinate and deliver projects with multiple stakeholders and craft specialisms at various levels of an organisation.
- You have a broad working knowledge of software development production practices, emerging technologies, and related industry trends.
- Experience of delivering software projects with multiple engineering teams.
- 10+ years of professional software development experience, ideally in games development.
Location: Our studio in Guildford
Equal Opportunity Statement: Media Molecule is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category. We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity.
This is a permanent position.
Before you apply
People of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives are encouraged to apply. Media Molecule is committed to creating an inclusive and safe work environment that reflects the diversity of the world around us. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Tips for getting hired!
Words are not enough! We need to see what you make: a portfolio, showreel, demo…send us a curated selection of your work that shows just the pieces you’re most proud of. Don’t be afraid to show us your personal work alongside your professional projects… just make sure we have your best creations to look at. We’re certainly excited to see portfolios made in Dreams as well.
Be yourself. We are a studio that encourages our team think creatively, to play with new technology and jam on individual ideas. We love seeing the personality of everyone at Media Molecule reflected in Dreams and so it’s YOU and YOUR STYLE that we are interested in learning about.
Embrace collaboration. Dreams is a very collaborative project and Media Molecule loves a game jam, so we need team members that can work well together – sometimes across departments that don’t traditionally overlap. Maybe you already work on a team, or manage a guild or play in a band – we’d love to hear how you get on collaborating with others.
Go for it. Media Molecule is filled with people with all sorts of previous experiences – straight from university, from jobs outside the industry, from AAA studios and indie ones, etc. We are after people who fit the roles we are hiring for not a specific number of years in the industry. Some roles benefit from certain experience, of course, but otherwise we are very open. We make creative games, and creativity is something we all enjoy. If you are interested then please apply – and don’t forget that portfolio!
What you get
On top of all the things we already mentioned, you’ll also get to be part of a talented, diverse team of people, get a tip top benefits package, including private health and life insurance, income protection and all that jazz, a competitive salary, a winning bonus scheme, a personal development fund, being a name and not a number, free lunches, organic fruit, and really comfy chairs. Our main studio is based in Guildford, and we now also have a small office in Brighton.
If the all of those job requirements seem to be describing you, and you like the sound of working at Media Molecule, then you should apply at once!