We are looking for someone who can design & code interactions that feel great for our project Dreams. Our projects are all centred on Creative Gaming, and bringing that joy of creativity to the masses. If you are someone excited by the idea of touching all aspects of game development, and enabling more people to create in our medium (from the comfort of their couch), then Media Molecule might be for you!
This is a unique opportunity to be an integral member of an efficient games team; where designing ‘cutting-edge’ solutions directly helps make our game fun.
We are seeking a passionate, technically proficient programmer who understands the need for great attention to detail. Someone willing to ‘run with it’ and exceed our expectations, (and their own). The remit of this role will be to cover both 1) gameplay coding such as character feel, and 2) working within the Creative Toolset of Dreams to achieve the best user experience to for players to create entertaining content.
As programmers at Media Molecule we work in C++ and make all of our own technology and tools. You’ll be joining a small, multi-discipline team, where you will be expected to help to define all aspects of the game code and design, including but not limited to: character controls, cameras, physics and editor UI. We would hope to find someone who gets excited about adding the special details and is will bring a bit of their personality to the project. Mm works in a very “ground up” style, where there is some freedom try out ideas (within the project framework), but your results will have to speak for themselves on the screen.
- Have made a game (doesn’t need to be a huge project), this could be AAA, indie or both but needs to demonstrate that you are able to design and implement gameplay from conception through to a final polished, fun product.
- Have strong maths & C++ skills
- Have creative ideas, the skills to take an idea from high level through to implementation, and ability to critique the quality of your own work
- Strong code architecting skills (more of a nice to have). You will be expected to maintain and improve the existing code and data structures
- Need to be comfortable moving back and forth between the technical details of low level programming, general tech, and more creative programming. At Media Molecule, there is no strong division between these areas.
- Self-motivated, an ideas person, and someone keen to take on the challenge that this role involves
This is a permanent position.
Before you apply
IMPORTANT: We regret to inform that we cannot sponsor work visas at this time.
Media Molecule is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment selection is based on objective, job-related criteria, as well as a commitment to diversity. Applicants will be chosen on their merits and abilities.
We are a small, diverse studio with a family vibe. Self-motivation, knowledge of your craft, and willingness to push the boundaries of what is possible are important qualities for prospective Molecules. In return, we offer flexible working, inclusivity, a highly collaborative approach to development and really quite marvellous benefits and perks.
How to apply
If all of those requirements seem to be describing you, you should apply at once!
Simply send us an email to email@example.com, stating the position you're applying for in the subject of the email.
Tips for getting hired!
Please make sure to send along a portfolio, showreel, or just something that shows off your past work, published or otherwise - there’s only so much we can glean from a CV alone, yo!
These are the things we look for in each person we hire:
- Damn good at what you do!
- Desire ownership and responsibility
- Really love playing and making games
- Burning with passion, enthusiasm and drive
- Active rather than passive team player
- Loves to collaborate with a creative team
- Jolly nice personality
What you get
On top of all the things we already mentioned, you’ll also get to be part of a talented, diverse team of people, get a tip top benefits package, including private health and life insurance, income protection and all that jazz, a competitive salary, a winning bonus scheme, London weighting, a personal development fund, being a name and not a number, organic fruit, really comfy chairs, and the occasional hug. Our main studio is based in Guildford, and we now also have a small office in Brighton.
Find out what it's like to work here.