The Lead Architect must be the driving force of our coding team to ensure quality and consistency across both the Live and Internal development code structures. They maintain a broad understanding of the work being done across the project and so are able to be the go-to person for both the programming and production teams to help choose the right coding strategies, identify potential problems and proactively design and help implement solutions to keep the codebase stable and maintainable as is needed for a live service.
The Lead Architect will be responsible for the technical road map for Dreams and all Media Molecule products.
We are looking for someone with familiarity within the Live Service space, who has a passion for underpinning innovation with good practice.
What you'll be doing
- Set out the technical roadmap for all projects.
- Define and implement the architecture & infrastructure strategy for projects and drive inter-project collaboration on technology decisions
- Ensure architecture standards and guidelines are clearly established and communicated, making sure these are fit for purpose
- Ensure that all systems are secure.
- Define and deliver continuous improvement programmes so that, where applicable, systems deliver an improved performance to Mm and our customers building a culture of continual improvement and problem solving
- Provide analysis for technical options and alternatives, understanding technical risk analysis for the proposed solution
- They must help to design and maintain documentation for the code base in order to help QA understand the expected functionality and for aiding in on-boarding of other programmers
- Drive the reuse of code, components, and proven patterns, where appropriate
- Collecting, generating, and analysing innovative ideas and technologies to use across the business
- Communicate architecture proposals and technical roadmap planning to both developers and executives at various phases of the product lifecycle
- Extensive hands on experience of Live Service development.
- Experience working on multiple platforms, and at scale a plus.
- Excellent communications (written & verbal)
- Exposure and understanding of existing, new and emerging digital technologies
- Experience of managing a team
- Ability to provide direction and guidance on architectural use cases and requirements
- Master's or Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, system analysis or a related field of study or equivalent business experience
This is a permanent position.
Before you apply
People of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives are encouraged to apply. Media Molecule is committed to creating an inclusive and safe work environment that reflects the diversity of the world around us. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Tips for getting hired!
Words are not enough! We need to see what you make: a portfolio, showreel, demo…send us a curated selection of your work that shows just the pieces you’re most proud of. Don’t be afraid to show us your personal work alongside your professional projects… just make sure we have your best creations to look at. We’re certainly excited to see portfolios made in Dreams as well.
Be yourself. We are a studio that encourages our team think creatively, to play with new technology and jam on individual ideas. We love seeing the personality of everyone at Media Molecule reflected in Dreams and so it’s YOU and YOUR STYLE that we are interested in learning about.
Embrace collaboration. Dreams is a very collaborative project and Media Molecule loves a game jam, so we need team members that can work well together – sometimes across departments that don’t traditionally overlap. Maybe you already work on a team, or manage a guild or play in a band – we’d love to hear how you get on collaborating with others.
Go for it. Media Molecule is filled with people with all sorts of previous experiences – straight from university, from jobs outside the industry, from AAA studios and indie ones, etc. We are after people who fit the roles we are hiring for not a specific number of years in the industry. Some roles benefit from certain experience, of course, but otherwise we are very open. We make creative games, and creativity is something we all enjoy. If you are interested then please apply – and don’t forget that portfolio!
What you get
On top of all the things we already mentioned, you’ll also get to be part of a talented, diverse team of people, get a tip top benefits package, including private health and life insurance, income protection and all that jazz, a competitive salary, a winning bonus scheme, a personal development fund, being a name and not a number, free lunches, organic fruit, and really comfy chairs. Our main studio is based in Guildford, and we now also have a small office in Brighton.
If the all of those job requirements seem to be describing you, and you like the sound of working at Media Molecule, then you should apply at once!