We are looking for a talented Systems Designer to join our Design team creating the systems that underpin our live experiences in Dreams. With a passion for untangling gnarly systems into elegant and super usable designs, we want you to help translate the vision of Dreams into a top social and creative experience that can be used by everyone!
You will be working with an empowered team who inspires and challenges one another in a respectful and safe environment to achieve maximum results. We are looking for someone to collaborate with and complement our design team to continuously push the boundaries of Dreams and how our community engages with it.
This is an exciting time to be joining Dreams as we’re only just beginning our journey and
are growing the team to match our aspiring vision.
What you'll be doing:
- As a systems design expert, you will work across many of Dreams’ live service systems, including social, metagame and functional game systems to support and encourage our growing user base of both players and creators
- Collaborating closely with producers, engineers and UX experts, you will design systems that bring players & creators together in a fun and positive way; and that keep them returning week after week
- With an eye for detail, you will identify problems early and offer solutions, whilst always representing the needs of the end user
- Working with analytics, you will hone and balance the experience according to telemetry for maximum engagement and positive community sentiment
- You will document and communicate changes as necessary in a clear and concise way
- You will put forward innovative ideas to improve existing systems or suggest new ones based on user trends and research in collaboration with the design and production teams
- A deep level of understanding and passion for working with game systems, from social to metagame to UX
- Shipped or worked on at least one AAA game with full development cycle experience, from pitching to prototyping, to launch and beyond. Experience of
working on a live game is a plus
- Be used to working in multi-disciplinary game teams and happy to get stuck in at all levels
- Ability to adapt your working style, whether it’s working closely with production to identify dependencies and scheduling of work or iterating and solving problems creatively and effectively with our developers.
- Proactively keep up-to-date with the leading game systems and features in the games industry
- The ability to self- motivate and thrive in an agile environment
- A knack for seeing opportunities to re-use existing systems for different purposes and a curiosity to understand and demystify systems generally
- We value ideas & creativity! You will have the opportunity to put your concepts into the game and test them out with our active community in our live game.
This is a broad role that will appeal to problem solvers who enjoy thinking about
psychology, metagame, UX and social systems designs as well as the ability to
communicate brilliantly with both producers and engineers.
This is a permanent position.
Before you apply
People of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives are encouraged to apply. Media Molecule is committed to creating an inclusive and safe work environment that reflects the diversity of the world around us. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Tips for getting hired!
Words are not enough! We need to see what you make: a portfolio, showreel, demo…send us a curated selection of your work that shows just the pieces you’re most proud of. Don’t be afraid to show us your personal work alongside your professional projects… just make sure we have your best creations to look at. We’re certainly excited to see portfolios made in Dreams as well.
Be yourself. We are a studio that encourages our team think creatively, to play with new technology and jam on individual ideas. We love seeing the personality of everyone at Media Molecule reflected in Dreams and so it’s YOU and YOUR STYLE that we are interested in learning about.
Embrace collaboration. Dreams is a very collaborative project and Media Molecule loves a game jam, so we need team members that can work well together – sometimes across departments that don’t traditionally overlap. Maybe you already work on a team, or manage a guild or play in a band – we’d love to hear how you get on collaborating with others.
Go for it. Media Molecule is filled with people with all sorts of previous experiences – straight from university, from jobs outside the industry, from AAA studios and indie ones, etc. We are after people who fit the roles we are hiring for not a specific number of years in the industry. Some roles benefit from certain experience, of course, but otherwise we are very open. We make creative games, and creativity is something we all enjoy. If you are interested then please apply – and don’t forget that portfolio!
What you get
On top of all the things we already mentioned, you’ll also get to be part of a talented, diverse team of people, get a tip top benefits package, including private health and life insurance, income protection and all that jazz, a competitive salary, a winning bonus scheme, a personal development fund, being a name and not a number, free lunches, organic fruit, and really comfy chairs. Our main studio is based in Guildford, and we now also have a small office in Brighton.
If the all of those job requirements seem to be describing you, and you like the sound of working at Media Molecule, then you should apply at once!