As a Multiplayer Programmer at Media Molecule, you will be innovating multiplayer experiences, enabling the world to create their own unique gaming experience. Collaborating with Artists, Designers and Tech, you will constantly be using your experience and passion for developing compelling player experiences to help expand the ambition of Dreams.
What you'll be doing
- Design, develop and support high performance online services with an initial focus on adding multiplayer support.
- Work closely with Design to improve upon or create new multiplayer features.
- Improve and iterate on low level networking systems.
- Manage deployment of new servers and monitor operations after launch.
- Complete profiling, performance analysis and performance tuning to hit server and game performance goals.
- Work closely with other Programmers, Production and QA to ensure code shipped is high quality.
- Assist with the deployment of new servers and monitor their operations after launch.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- Solid professional work experience as Programmer, preferably in the games industry.
- Shipped at least one AAA title
- Strong knowledge of C/C++ and at least one scripting language.
- Excellent debugging and communication skills.
- Understanding of game networking models and the pros and cons of each.
- Knowledge of common server architecture and networking protocols used for large-scale multiplayer online games.
- Strong knowledge of network and server security.
- Experience making MMO.
- Experience working in Linux/Unix environments.
This is a permanent position.
Before you apply
People of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives are encouraged to apply. Media Molecule is committed to creating an inclusive and safe work environment that reflects the diversity of the world around us. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Tips for getting hired!
Words are not enough! We need to see what you make: a portfolio, showreel, demo…send us a curated selection of your work that shows just the pieces you’re most proud of. Don’t be afraid to show us your personal work alongside your professional projects… just make sure we have your best creations to look at. We’re certainly excited to see portfolios made in Dreams as well.
Be yourself. We are a studio that encourages our team think creatively, to play with new technology and jam on individual ideas. We love seeing the personality of everyone at Media Molecule reflected in Dreams and so it’s YOU and YOUR STYLE that we are interested in learning about.
Embrace collaboration. Dreams is a very collaborative project and Media Molecule loves a game jam, so we need team members that can work well together – sometimes across departments that don’t traditionally overlap. Maybe you already work on a team, or manage a guild or play in a band – we’d love to hear how you get on collaborating with others.
Go for it. Media Molecule is filled with people with all sorts of previous experiences – straight from university, from jobs outside the industry, from AAA studios and indie ones, etc. We are after people who fit the roles we are hiring for not a specific number of years in the industry. Some roles benefit from certain experience, of course, but otherwise we are very open. We make creative games, and creativity is something we all enjoy. If you are interested then please apply – and don’t forget that portfolio!
What you get
On top of all the things we already mentioned, you’ll also get to be part of a talented, diverse team of people, get a tip top benefits package, including private health and life insurance, income protection and all that jazz, a competitive salary, a winning bonus scheme, a personal development fund, being a name and not a number, free lunches, organic fruit, and really comfy chairs. Our main studio is based in Guildford, and we now also have a small office in Brighton.
If the all of those job requirements seem to be describing you, and you like the sound of working at Media Molecule, then you should apply at once!