As a programmer at Media Molecule, you will be part of the server team where you will focus on building online metagame experiences in collaboration with client-side teams. Working with Artists, Designers and Tech, you will constantly be using your experience and passion for developing compelling player experiences to help expand the vision of Dreams.
What you'll be doing:
- Work closely with cross discipline client-side teams to improve upon and scale new and existing social metagame features.
- Design, develop and support high performance online services with a focus on metagame and monetisation.
- Improve and iterate on low level networking systems.
- Complete profiling, performance analysis and performance tuning to ensure server and game performance goals are met.
- Work closely with other Programmers, Production, Analytics and QA to ensure code shipped is high quality.
- Assist with the deployment of new servers and monitor their operations after launch.
- Strong knowledge of both C and C++.
- Strong knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
- Understanding of distributed systems.
- Able to work effectively with varied scripting languages.
- Excellent debugging and analytical skills.
- Team player with good communication skills.
- Knowledge of scalable cloud server architectures.
- Knowledge of common computer networking protocols.
- Knowledge of network security.
- Interest in games.
- Experience working in Windows/Linux environments.
- Experience with AWS.
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes.
This is a permanent position.
Before you apply
People of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives are encouraged to apply. Media Molecule is committed to creating an inclusive and safe work environment that reflects the diversity of the world around us. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Tips for getting hired!
Words are not enough! We need to see what you make: a portfolio, showreel, demo…send us a curated selection of your work that shows just the pieces you’re most proud of. Don’t be afraid to show us your personal work alongside your professional projects… just make sure we have your best creations to look at. We’re certainly excited to see portfolios made in Dreams as well.
Be yourself. We are a studio that encourages our team think creatively, to play with new technology and jam on individual ideas. We love seeing the personality of everyone at Media Molecule reflected in Dreams and so it’s YOU and YOUR STYLE that we are interested in learning about.
Embrace collaboration. Dreams is a very collaborative project and Media Molecule loves a game jam, so we need team members that can work well together – sometimes across departments that don’t traditionally overlap. Maybe you already work on a team, or manage a guild or play in a band – we’d love to hear how you get on collaborating with others.
Go for it. Media Molecule is filled with people with all sorts of previous experiences – straight from university, from jobs outside the industry, from AAA studios and indie ones, etc. We are after people who fit the roles we are hiring for not a specific number of years in the industry. Some roles benefit from certain experience, of course, but otherwise we are very open. We make creative games, and creativity is something we all enjoy. If you are interested then please apply – and don’t forget that portfolio!
What you get
On top of all the things we already mentioned, you’ll also get to be part of a talented, diverse team of people, get a tip top benefits package, including private health and life insurance, income protection and all that jazz, a competitive salary, a winning bonus scheme, a personal development fund, being a name and not a number, free lunches, organic fruit, and really comfy chairs. Our main studio is based in Guildford, and we now also have a small office in Brighton.
If the all of those job requirements seem to be describing you, and you like the sound of working at Media Molecule, then you should apply at once!