As a Programmer at Media Molecule, you will be innovating player facing features and systems, enabling the world to create their own unique gaming experience. Collaborating with Artists, Designers and Tech, you will constantly be using your experience and passion for developing compelling player experiences to help expand the vision of Dreams.
What you'll be doing
- Prototyping UGC creation tools and exploring creative ideas with an absolute focus on quality, player experience and making the most of PlayStation hardware.
- Designing, developing, testing, documenting and maintaining highly accessible features in close collaboration with other programmers, designers and artists.
- Design and development of wider game code architecture.
- Troubleshooting and designing solutions to issues relating to these areas.
- Proactively and methodically improving quality, efficiency and best practice.
- Work with production to schedule and prioritise tasks as they arise.
- A reasonable understanding of each of the various areas of game development, with an in-depth focus on user interaction and providing satisfying gameplay experiences.
- Experience of game prototyping and rapid iteration on creative ideas.
- Working in a small focused work group while interfacing with a large multi-discipline team, you should have excellent communication skills, approachability, passion and aptitude for practical game development.
- Excellent C++ programming skills.
- Proficiency in 3D maths and geometry.
- Robust software engineering and software architecture principles. Experience of working with and interfacing to a large codebase, including systems such as graphics, physics, animation, audio, and networking.
- A methodical approach to debugging and problem solving in general.
- An appreciation of parallelism and the implications for system design.
- Knowledge of PlayStation platform development, PC or other console-based development.
- Experience in successfully shipping a PC or console title.
- Experience on Multiplayer games would be beneficial
- Familiarity with developing VR experiences and interactions is a plus.
This is a permanent position.
Before you apply
People of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives are encouraged to apply. Media Molecule is committed to creating an inclusive and safe work environment that reflects the diversity of the world around us. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Tips for getting hired!
Words are not enough! We need to see what you make: a portfolio, showreel, demo…send us a curated selection of your work that shows just the pieces you’re most proud of. Don’t be afraid to show us your personal work alongside your professional projects… just make sure we have your best creations to look at. We’re certainly excited to see portfolios made in Dreams as well.
Be yourself. We are a studio that encourages our team think creatively, to play with new technology and jam on individual ideas. We love seeing the personality of everyone at Media Molecule reflected in Dreams and so it’s YOU and YOUR STYLE that we are interested in learning about.
Embrace collaboration. Dreams is a very collaborative project and Media Molecule loves a game jam, so we need team members that can work well together – sometimes across departments that don’t traditionally overlap. Maybe you already work on a team, or manage a guild or play in a band – we’d love to hear how you get on collaborating with others.
Go for it. Media Molecule is filled with people with all sorts of previous experiences – straight from university, from jobs outside the industry, from AAA studios and indie ones, etc. We are after people who fit the roles we are hiring for not a specific number of years in the industry. Some roles benefit from certain experience, of course, but otherwise we are very open. We make creative games, and creativity is something we all enjoy. If you are interested then please apply – and don’t forget that portfolio!
What you get
On top of all the things we already mentioned, you’ll also get to be part of a talented, diverse team of people, get a tip top benefits package, including private health and life insurance, income protection and all that jazz, a competitive salary, a winning bonus scheme, a personal development fund, being a name and not a number, free lunches, organic fruit, and really comfy chairs. Our main studio is based in Guildford, and we now also have a small office in Brighton.
If the all of those job requirements seem to be describing you, and you like the sound of working at Media Molecule, then you should apply at once!