Media Molecule is seeking an experienced web designer to lead the design and user experience of our indreams.me website, the companion site for our multi-award-winning PlayStation 4 title, Dreams. You’ll play a critical part in an amazing, tight-knit team dedicated to making indreams.me the best possible experience for our players.
We have big and exciting plans for the site and we need a designer to help us bring them to life. This will be your chance to work with 3D models, video, audio, PlayStation integration and whatever else you can imagine.
We’re looking for someone who loves to create visually stunning, enjoyable experiences, and offer the chance to fully own and drive the creative vision of the site. You know how to create the designs and also translate those designs into HTML/CSS. Your experience across desktop, tablet, mobile or TV devices means all your web projects adapt effortlessly to the devices they’re enjoyed on.
What you’ll be doing
- Producing visually stunning and accessible designs using the tools of your choice.
- Using SASS to implement mobile-first, responsive designs.
- Working with our React project, writing semantic and accessible HTML.
- Responding to feedback and helping to fix issues, as part of support of indreams.me as a live service.
- Working alongside the server and game development teams, ensuring cohesion between Dreams and the web.
- In-depth knowledge of HTML5 and CSS3.
- An ability to produce standards-compliant and accessible HTML and CSS.
- Conscientious about accessibility and user experience.
- A sharp attention to detail and an eye for pixel-perfect design.
- Good knowledge of the latest web design trends and technologies.
- Solid experience producing high quality mobile-first websites, with an online portfolio showcasing this.
Ideally you'll also have the following:
- Working understanding of BEM methodology for CSS.
- Knowledge of graphics software such as Sketch or Photoshop.
- Experience with using Storybook for maintaining component libraries.
- Experience with working on high traffic websites.
- Player of video games.
A little bit about you:
The web is a passion for you - its constantly evolving potential as a creative platform excites you and you’ll be in tune with the latest trends in web design.
When working, you’ll happily sketch out design ideas and draw up wireframes for pitching your proposals, before jumping in to your preferred tool of choice to start typing the handwritten HTML and SASS/CSS you love to write. Your high standards and keen eye for detail never miss a trick.
This is a permanent position.
Before you apply
People of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives are encouraged to apply. Media Molecule is committed to creating an inclusive and safe work environment that reflects the diversity of the world around us. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Tips for getting hired!
Words are not enough! We need to see what you make: a portfolio, showreel, demo…send us a curated selection of your work that shows just the pieces you’re most proud of. Don’t be afraid to show us your personal work alongside your professional projects… just make sure we have your best creations to look at. We’re certainly excited to see portfolios made in Dreams as well.
Be yourself. We are a studio that encourages our team think creatively, to play with new technology and jam on individual ideas. We love seeing the personality of everyone at Media Molecule reflected in Dreams and so it’s YOU and YOUR STYLE that we are interested in learning about.
Embrace collaboration. Dreams is a very collaborative project and Media Molecule loves a game jam, so we need team members that can work well together – sometimes across departments that don’t traditionally overlap. Maybe you already work on a team, or manage a guild or play in a band – we’d love to hear how you get on collaborating with others.
Go for it. Media Molecule is filled with people with all sorts of previous experiences – straight from university, from jobs outside the industry, from AAA studios and indie ones, etc. We are after people who fit the roles we are hiring for not a specific number of years in the industry. Some roles benefit from certain experience, of course, but otherwise we are very open. We make creative games, and creativity is something we all enjoy. If you are interested then please apply – and don’t forget that portfolio!
What you get
On top of all the things we already mentioned, you’ll also get to be part of a talented, diverse team of people, get a tip top benefits package, including private health and life insurance, income protection and all that jazz, a competitive salary, a winning bonus scheme, a personal development fund, being a name and not a number, free lunches, organic fruit, and really comfy chairs. Our main studio is based in Guildford, and we now also have a small office in Brighton.
If the all of those job requirements seem to be describing you, and you like the sound of working at Media Molecule, then you should apply at once!