Media Molecule is seeking an experienced web designer to evolve our critically acclaimed new PlayStation 4 title, Dreams, on the web.
As a Web Designer, you’ll love creating visually stunning, enjoyable experiences. The web is a passion for you, its constantly evolving potential as a platform for creativity excites you! Because of that, you’re in tune with what’s happening in the latest of web technologies. You love experimenting with these new toys when they become available and your CodePen/other profile shows what fun you’ve been having.
Your experience across desktop, tablet, mobile or TV devices means all your web projects adapt effortlessly to the devices they’re enjoyed on.
What you’ll be doing
- Working as part of the indreams.me Team at Media Molecule to evolve the design and development of indreams.me alongside Dreams. This will include supporting new game functionality as well as concepting & developing new indreams.me functionality.
- Working with our React project, writing semantic and accessible HTML.
- Using SASS to produce visually impressive, responsive designs.
- Responding to feedback and helping to fix issues, as part of support of indreams.me as a live service.
- Working alongside the server and Dreamiverse teams, ensuring cohesion between the game and the web in your work.
- In-depth knowledge of HTML5 and CSS3.
- Conscientious about accessibility and user privacy.
- An ability to produce standards compliant and accessible HTML and CSS.
- A sharp attention to detail and an eye for pixel-perfect design.
- Good knowledge of the latest web tools and technologies.
- Able to work on own initiative or work well in a team.
- solid experience producing high quality mobile-first websites, with an online portfolio showcasing this.
- Player of video games.
Ideally you'll also have the following:
- Experience with working on high traffic websites.
- Experience with using Storybook for maintaining component libraries.
- Working understanding of BEM methodology for CSS.
- Knowledge of graphics software such as Sketch or Photoshop.
- Experience with video game live ops
A little bit about you:
When working, you’ll happily sketch out design ideas and draw up wireframes for pitching your proposals, before jumping in to your preferred IDE or text editor of choice to start typing the handwritten HTML and SASS/CSS you love to write. Your high standards and keen eye for detail never miss a trick.
This is a permanent position.
Before you apply
People of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives are encouraged to apply. Media Molecule is committed to creating an inclusive and safe work environment that reflects the diversity of the world around us. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Tips for getting hired!
Words are not enough! We need to see what you make: a portfolio, showreel, demo…send us a curated selection of your work that shows just the pieces you’re most proud of. Don’t be afraid to show us your personal work alongside your professional projects… just make sure we have your best creations to look at. We’re certainly excited to see portfolios made in Dreams as well.
Be yourself. We are a studio that encourages our team think creatively, to play with new technology and jam on individual ideas. We love seeing the personality of everyone at Media Molecule reflected in Dreams and so it’s YOU and YOUR STYLE that we are interested in learning about.
Embrace collaboration. Dreams is a very collaborative project and Media Molecule loves a game jam, so we need team members that can work well together – sometimes across departments that don’t traditionally overlap. Maybe you already work on a team, or manage a guild or play in a band – we’d love to hear how you get on collaborating with others.
Go for it. Media Molecule is filled with people with all sorts of previous experiences – straight from university, from jobs outside the industry, from AAA studios and indie ones, etc. We are after people who fit the roles we are hiring for not a specific number of years in the industry. Some roles benefit from certain experience, of course, but otherwise we are very open. We make creative games, and creativity is something we all enjoy. If you are interested then please apply – and don’t forget that portfolio!
What you get
On top of all the things we already mentioned, you’ll also get to be part of a talented, diverse team of people, get a tip top benefits package, including private health and life insurance, income protection and all that jazz, a competitive salary, a winning bonus scheme, London weighting, a personal development fund, being a name and not a number, organic fruit, really comfy chairs, and the occasional hug. Our main studio is based in Guildford, and we now also have a small office in Brighton.
Find out what it's like to work here.
If the all of those job requirements seem to be describing you, and you like the sound of working at Media Molecule, then you should apply at once!