As a tech lead at Media Molecule you will play a key role in our live team where you will be responsible for managing the technical aspects of our continual improvement and experimentation initiatives within Dreams. You will partner collaboratively with other technical stakeholders across the studio to ensure the ongoing technical success of our innovative user generated content platform as we expand the capabilities of our service.
What you'll be doing:
- You will manage the day-to-day work of the live programming team.
- You will partner closely with production and programmers on the live team to build pragmatictechnical roadmaps focused on improving and optimising the player experience within the Dreamiverse.
- You will ensure that system designs are clearly established and communicated to relevant stakeholders.
- You will proactively solve problems, working in collaboration with other discipline leads.
- You will ensure that technical initiatives across the live team are aligned with the studio’s technical strategy.
- You will be responsible for ensuring the technical quality and timely cadence of the live team’s releases.
- You will be responsible for driving forward optimizations of the studio’s live release process.
- You will build strong working relationships with representatives of our backend services team to ensure the scalability of our live service.
- You will support the live programming team’s welfare and provide meaningful mentoring.
- Your work will affect broad aspects of the Dreamiverse and will have significant impact on our player and community experience.
- You have experience developing and refactoring code in a live service environment.
- You have strong knowledge of both C and C++.
- You have excellent debugging and analytical skills.
- You have experience working closely with game analytics teams to optimise a live service.
- You have 8+ years of game development experience, live service experience a must, console experience a plus.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject or equivalent industry experience
- You have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- You have experience managing. mentoring and leading technical staff.
- You are able to create, manage and track team schedules.
- You demonstrate strong, natural, leadership skills and emotional intelligence with the ability to lead remotely.
- You are able to work effectively with production teams to analyse and address development needs.
- You are able to work collaboratively, autonomously and are capable of delivering team results with limited supervision.
This is a permanent position.
Before you apply
People of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives are encouraged to apply. Media Molecule is committed to creating an inclusive and safe work environment that reflects the diversity of the world around us. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Tips for getting hired!
Words are not enough! We need to see what you make: a portfolio, showreel, demo…send us a curated selection of your work that shows just the pieces you’re most proud of. Don’t be afraid to show us your personal work alongside your professional projects… just make sure we have your best creations to look at. We’re certainly excited to see portfolios made in Dreams as well.
Be yourself. We are a studio that encourages our team think creatively, to play with new technology and jam on individual ideas. We love seeing the personality of everyone at Media Molecule reflected in Dreams and so it’s YOU and YOUR STYLE that we are interested in learning about.
Embrace collaboration. Dreams is a very collaborative project and Media Molecule loves a game jam, so we need team members that can work well together – sometimes across departments that don’t traditionally overlap. Maybe you already work on a team, or manage a guild or play in a band – we’d love to hear how you get on collaborating with others.
Go for it. Media Molecule is filled with people with all sorts of previous experiences – straight from university, from jobs outside the industry, from AAA studios and indie ones, etc. We are after people who fit the roles we are hiring for not a specific number of years in the industry. Some roles benefit from certain experience, of course, but otherwise we are very open. We make creative games, and creativity is something we all enjoy. If you are interested then please apply – and don’t forget that portfolio!
What you get
On top of all the things we already mentioned, you’ll also get to be part of a talented, diverse team of people, get a tip top benefits package, including private health and life insurance, income protection and all that jazz, a competitive salary, a winning bonus scheme, a personal development fund, being a name and not a number, free lunches, organic fruit, and really comfy chairs. Our main studio is based in Guildford, and we now also have a small office in Brighton.
If the all of those job requirements seem to be describing you, and you like the sound of working at Media Molecule, then you should apply at once!