Kath and Eoin are returning to the MM Blog with a recipe that's perfect for the hot weather! If you find yourself in the garden, with a BBQ to hand, then follow this short, simple but effective recipe for their Lemonade Can Chicken!
Over to you, Eoin!
A classic dish that relies on some of my favourite things. True the chicken looks a little startled but the taste is divine and more to the point super simple to do.
With no more preamble….
1 whole chicken
1 can of lemonade (Anything that makes steam and adds a flavour would work - so even something fruity like raspberry lemonade or a blood orange drink!)
Optional: A dry rub for your chicken
- Heat your BBQ up and push all the coals to one side, this is called indirect cooking.
- Apply the rub all over the chicken.
- Use a can opener to take off the top of the lemonade can, pour yourself half, drink, then push the half full can into the chicken cavity and stand it up on the grill but not over the coals. You can place it onto a roasting tin if it’s a bit wobbly. Timings are of little relevance, just wait at least an hour and using a food thermometer check the internal temperature, we are waiting for 75 C in the thickest part of the chicken.
- Remove and let it rest for 10-15 mins.
- Serve with a crisp green salad.